Saturday, January 29, 2011

The New York City Snowpocalypse of 2011

Hello loyal blog readers,

As you may have heard, New York City had a bold reminder this week that it is still winter. Some areas of the city had around 20 inches of snow fall in 24 hours and we ended up with about 19 inches where I live.
The snow went all the way up to the park benches even after being walked on.

The snow up to the fence in Union Square Park.

To those of you who are in Utah, this doesn't seem like much compared to what we're used to, but NYC rarely gets this much snow at one time, so it's a mighty big deal around here.
Snow covering Union Square Park - 
taken Thursday afternoon from my living room window.

My work event was canceled Wednesday night due to the storm, so I just watched the snowfall from my warm apartment. The snow was pretty much all I could see because my view of the city was blocked out by the clouds and the wind was blowing pretty hard so the snow was creating blizzard-like conditions.
My stormy view Wednesday night.

My usual view (how could anyone not love this city?!)

The storm stopped late Thursday morning and the sun came out for a little bit. I went out to the park by my place (Union Square Park) and took some photos. Schools were closed city-wide, so kids were out enjoying the snow. Most of them had never seen this much snow at one time so they were having a blast.
I loved this little girl all bundled up in her pink coat and boots. This was so me as a kid!

There's just something great about making snow angels and snowmen after a huge storm. Plus, if it's going to snow, I much prefer it to do something like this than just little skiffs of snow that don't amount to much.

This man built up a snow-home. The closest item is a "flat screen TV" and the one in the back
is a chair, complete with leg rest and a drink on the chair arm.  (click on the photo to enlarge)

I hope you enjoy the photos. And just click on "comments" below to leave any feedback you may have. Thanks! :)

All photos copyright Brooke Niemeyer. You may not reuse, republish, or reproduce without photographers written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment