Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Author Brian Greene Rules Out Sarah Palin Presidency Even in Other Universes

Photo of Brian Greene courtesy of Getty Images

By: BROOKE NIEMEYER
New York City native at theoretical physicist Brian Greene recently released his latest tome "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos," which is all about the possibility of multiple universes.

Greene compared the universe to a deck of cards and said that, at some point, elements of our world must repeat. Multiple universes are also known as a "multiverse."

"If you shuffle [a deck of cards] infinitely many times, sooner or later the order of the cards has to repeat," Green said at the Barnes & Noble in Union Square Tuesday night. "Similarly, if space goes on infinitely far, then the configuration of particles region by region has to ultimately repeat too."

He added, "Some people have asked me, does that mean that there is a place out there where Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sarah Palin are president?" Green said. "The only thing I can say to that is, is that compatible with the laws of physics?"

Greene has appeared on many talk shows, including "The Colbert Report" and "The Late Show With David Letterman," not only because of his vast knowledge on the subject, but also because of the "plain English" manner in which he speaks about scientific theories like this one.

Greene, also a professor at Columbia University, said that, despite his best efforts against it, writing this book consumed every aspect of his life.

"I tried diligently to protect my family from the time that I spent writing the book and I thought I had done a pretty good job of it," Greene said. "Until about three weeks ago, I was holding my little three-year-old daughter and saying, 'I love you more than anything in the entire universe' and she said, 'universe or multiverse?'"

This story ran on NBCNewYork.com's NiteSide.

No comments:

Post a Comment